- Master of Science, Escola Politécnica da USP, 1976
- Civil Engineer, Escola de Engenharia de São Carlos, USP, 1970, (CREA-SP nº 0600280284)
English, French and Spanish.
FURNAS Centrais Elétricas S.A.
Marimbondo Power Plant, at Grande River, 1.440 MW
- Annual report about the analyses of the monitoring data of the concrete and earthfill dams, 1975 -1977.
- Periodical “in situ” inspections of the dam and power plant structures, 1975-1977.
CESP – São Paulo State Energy Co.
Água Vermelha Power Plant, at Grande River, 1.380 MW
- Participation at the geological studies at the foundation of the concrete structures and installation of the standpipe piezometers, 1971-1972
- Development of the monitoring plan for the concrete structures
- Development of the monitoring plan for the rockfill and earthfill dams
- Elaboration of reports with the periodical monitoring data analyses, 1976 – 1981;
- Elaboration of the Guidelines for the Dam Monitoring and Supervision of the Dam Safety During the Filling of the Reservoir and Operational Period, 1975-1981
Itaipu International Power Plant, at the Paraná River, 12.600 MW
Design of the Itaipu Main Dam
- Design of the monitoring plan for the concrete Main Dam and its foundation, wirth blocs 96 m high;
- Periodical reports about the analyses of the monitoring data of the Main Dam, during the construction and filling of the reservoir periods, 1978-1982;
- Elaboration of technical reports about the “in situ” inspections during the filling of reservoir and operational period, 1982-2001;
- Participation at the Periodical Board Meeting with an international staff, at 4 years interval, including that of 1882, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 e 2010.
CHESF – Companhia Hidro Elétrica do São Francisco
Apolônio Sales (Moxotó) Power Plant, at São Francisco river, 439 MW
- Design of the monitoring plan for the concrete dam for the investigation of AAR – alkali-aggregate reactivity,
- Design and supervision the cutting of the contraction joints between concrete blocks, with a total of 400 m2 each, in order to attenuate the concrete expansion consequences over the electrical-mechanical equipment.
DGIH – Ministère de l’Hydraulique, Algerie
Dahmouni Dam, Argelia
- Design of the monitoring plan for the earthfill dam, including the diversion gallery and spillway at the abutment, 1985;
- Elaboration of technical reports concerning the “in situ” inspections during the filling of reservoir and operational period, 1982-2001;
- Reporting the monitoring of dam and its foundation during the construction filling of the reservoir, 1986-1987.
CEMIG – Centrais Elétricas de Minas Gerais S.A.
- Technical inspections at the dam site and preparation of reports about the analyses of the monitoring data and dam safety supervision concerning the civil structures: São Simão, Três Marias, Nova Ponte, Miranda, Peti e Volta Grande Dams, 19951997.
ENGEVIX ENGENHARIA S/C Ltda.
Itá Power Station
- Design of the monitoring plan for the concrete face rockfill dam and concrete structures;
- Elaboration of the guidelines about the dam monitoring and supervision of the dam safety during the filling of the reservoir and operational period;
- Elaboration of reports about the analyses of the concrete face rockfill dam and concrete structures monitoring, 1997-2001.
ENGEVIX ENGENHARIA S/C Ltda.
Campos Novos and Barra Grande Concrete Face Rockfill Dams
- Design of the monitoring plan for the concrete face rockfill dam and concrete structures, 2001-2-002.
JIRAU Power Plant – Madeira River – Rondonia
- Periodical visit at the dam site and monthly analyses of the installation and monitoring data reports, to improve the general quality of those services, for the Constructor – CCCC – Construções e Comércio Camargo Carrea.
NORTE ENERGIA – UHE Belo Monte – Pará
- Technical Consultancy on the implementation of the safety monitoring plan for the dam structures and power plant generation;
- Regular inspections for the supervision of the monitoring site conditions, 2015 and 2016;
- Inspections at the dam site and analysis of the instrumentation data during the filling of the reservoir and start of operation, 2015 and 2016;
- Participation at the Board of Civil Consultants meetings as well at the Board of Independent Engineering, during 2017.
ANA PERU – Autoridad Nacional del Agua – Peru
- Inspection of Poechos, San Lorenzo, Limón, Gallito Ciego and Tinajones Dams in northern Peru and development of Technical Report with an evaluation of the safety of dam structures and proposing an instrumentation plan, including the monitoring automation data; 2015;
- Inspection of Condoroma and El Frayle Dams in south of Peru and development of Technical Report with an evaluation of the safety of the dam structures and proposing an instrumentation plan, including the monitoring automation data; 2016.
Board of Consultant Participation
Participation at the Board of Consultant during the safety conditions evaluation of the following dams and power plants:
- CHESF: Boa Esperança, Sobradinho, Moxotó, Itaparica e Paulo Afonso IV Power Plants, in 1998/1999;
- CEEE: Dona Francisca Power Plant, in 2003;
- ENERCAN: Campos Novos Power Plant, in 2009 e 2012;
- BAESA: Barra Grande Power Plant, in 2007 and 2012;
- ENERG: Corumbá III Power Plant, in 2010 and 2011.
- NEOENERGIA: Sitio Grande Small Power Plant, BA, in 2012 and 2013.
- TRACTEBEL – LEME: Salto Osório e Salto Santiago Power Plants, in Nov/2013.
Technical International Visits
- Monitoring Companies: Soiltest (Evanston), Terrametrics (Golden) e Slope Indicator Co. (Seattle) and Morrow Point Dam (Colorado); USA, 1974;
- LNEC – Laboratório Nacional de Engenharia Civil, in Lisbon, and the Aguieira, Miranda, Picote and Valeira dams; Portugal, 1978;
- Azutan, Torrejon, Valdecañas and Alcantara dams, Spain, 1978;
- Pieve di Cadore, Vajont e Vall Galina Power Plants, ISMES laboratory in Bérgamo and the Oficina Galileo, in Florence, and S.I.S., in Milan; Italy, in 1978;
- Huggenberger Instrumentation Co., in Zurich; Switzerland, 1978;
- Beauharnois andd Mactaquac Power Plants, with concrete affected by AAR – AlcaliAggregate Reation; Canada, 1986;
- Fontana concrete dam with AAR – Alcali-Aggregate Reation; in USA, 1986;
- Saunders, Mactaquac and Beauharnois Power Plant, and the Ontario Hydro Office (Toronto); Canada, 1992;
- Bureau os Reclamation and the Geomation Automation Co., in Denver, and Morrow Point, Crystal e Blue Mesa dams in Colorado; USA, 1992;
- Chicamauga, Hiwassee e Fontana of the T.V.A., USA, 1995;
- Malter, Klingenberg, Lichtenberg e Eibenstock, in Germany, 2001;
- Tous, Escalona, Relleu, Tibi, La Cierva e Francisco Aberllán dams, in Spain, 2006;
- St Petersburg flood plan system and the locks and power plants of Ivankovsky, Uglish, Rybinsk e Gorodetz, at the Volga river, between Moscow and Nizny Novgorod, in Russia, in 2007;
- Tsankov Kamak, Belmeken, Chaira, Batak e Vacha dams, Bulgary, in 2008;
- Manso, Itiquira I, Itaiguira II e Ponte de Pedra Power Plant, in Mato Grosso State, Brazil, in 2009;
- Thao Long, Phu Ninh e UHE Dinh Binh dams, Vietnam, in June 2010;
- Latschau, Kühtai, Sylvenstein e Limberg II dams, in the South of Germany and Austria, in 2011;
- Kitafuji, Ikehara, Amagase and Ikari dams, in Japan, after participating at the XXIV ICOLD International Congress, Kyoto, in 2012.
- Svartvan, Stolsvatn and Viddalvatn dams, in Norway, after participating at the XXV ICOLD International Congress, Stavenger, in 2015.
- Maguga, Driekoppies e De Hoop dams, in South Africa, after participating at the 84º ICOLD International Annual Meeting, Johannesburg, in 2016.
Congress and Seminars
- International Conference on Alkali-Aggregate Reaction in Hydroelectric Plants and Dams, 1992 (Canada) and 1995 (USA);
- International Congress on Large Dams – ICOLD, 1997 (Italy), 2006 (Spain), 2009 (Brazil), 2012 (Japan) and 2015 (Norway) ;
- II Congresso Paraguayo de Ingenieria y Geotecnia, Assunção, Paraguai, 2003;
- ICOLD International Annual Meeting – 2004 (South Korea), 2005 (Iran), 2007 (Russia), 2008 (Bulgaria), 2010 (Vietnam), 2011 (Switzerland), 2016 (South Africa).
Participation at National and International Committees
- Coordinator of the CBGB Technical Committee “Instrumentation and Monitoring of Dams”, 1993-1995;
- Brazilian members at the International Committee of ICOLD “Operation, Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Dams”, participating at the meeting in Dresden, Germany, in 2001-2004;
- Chairman of the International “Ad Hoc Committee on Small Dams”, participating at the meeting in Tehran (Iran), Sitges (Spain), St. Petersburg (Russia), Sofia (Bulgaria), Brasília, Hanoi (Vietnam) and Lucerne (Switzerland), in 2005 to 2011.
Technical Books about Dam Monitoring
- “Monitoring and Foundation Behaviour of Concrete Dams” / “Instrumentação e Comportamento de Fundações de Barragens de Concreto”, editora Ofitexto, São Paulo, 2003;
- “Monitoring and safety of Earthfill and Rockfill Dams” / “Instrumentação e Segurança de Barragens de Terra e Enrocamento”, editora Ofitexto, São Paulo, 2006;
- “Design, Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Small Dams”, Bulletin No 157 – ICOLD, Chairman of the “Ad Hoc Committee on Smal Dams”, from 2005 to 2010.
Technical Associations Participating
- ABMS – Brazilian Association on Soil Mechanics, São Paulo, SP (1982-2014);
- ABGE – Brazilian Association of Engineering Geology, São Paulo, SP (1974-2014);
- ICOLD – International Commission on Large Dams, 1971 – 2014;
- CBDB – Brazilian Commission on Large Dams, Rio de Janeiro. Technical Director (1995-1998). Consultant member 1999 a 2014;
- ASDSO – Association of State Dam Safety Officials, Inc., Lexington, USA, 2000 – 2014.